Monday, October 26, 2015

Homecoming

Last weekend was a really exciting one for me, because it was homecoming weekend! For the ones who don't know what this is: it's an annual tradition in the United States to welcome back alumni of a school. It includes a lot of activities, like an homecoming football game and homecoming dance. It shouldn't be confused with prom, since homecoming is mostly in fall and prom in spring. I went to both the game and the dance, and I had a lot of fun! In this blogpost I'll show you some pictures and tell about my experience.

The great group of girls I went to the homecoming dance with! 

On Friday night I went to the homecoming football game. The game is supposed to be an easy win, but sadly enough this was one of the first times our football team lost. No one was really sad about it though, because the games are more about having fun with friends and cheering on the team. Most of the people don't even pay attention to the game (or still don't understand all the rules, like me). Every week we have to dress in another theme. This week we had to dress in the colors blue and gold (our school colors)!


During halftime the homecoming court was crowned! This consists of an homecoming princess from the freshman, sophomore and junior grades, and an homecoming king and queen from the senior grade. Those people are chosen by votes. First, they had to get nominated. The people with the most nominations got to be in the homecoming court. After that, everyone can vote for their perfect homecoming queen, princesses and king. All the people in the court walk onto the football field, accompanied by a parent. After that, the winners are announced! It was fun to watch (and typically American!). 

The nominees 
The crowning
On Saturday night the school organized the homecoming dance! I went to the dance together with some awesome girls. First we went to the house of one of them to get ready: do our hair and makeup and put our dresses on. For dinner we ordered some pizza and after getting ready (which took quite a long time) we took pictures on the stairs. 


The dance itself was a lot of fun. It was at a great location outside and I loved the music they played. Everyone looked really pretty in their dresses and suits! I'm so glad I got to experience it. 
After the dance we went to a Drive - In called 'Sonic', which has lots of typically American food. It was another American experience to add! I had a Blue Raspberry Slush and Tots, which are little potato pieces. After midnight we went over to one of my friends houses for a sleepover. I'm still tired right now because of my lack of sleep but it was definitely worth it! 


1 comment:

  1. I am very enjoyed for this blog. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.
    If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    Student accommodation close to Manchester University | Student accommodation close to Manchester Met

    ReplyDelete